Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Face Spasms? Seriously?

I have Complex Migraine Episodes(CMEs). I have had migraines since I was 12-13. My history with it is a whole different post in and of itself that may (or may not) be posted one day.
Last night at work, around 5 o'clock, my eye started twitching. My head had been hurting but hadn't hit migraine status yet. I took some pain reliever at work but it didn't seem to dull the headache. After a few minutes of my eye twitching/blinking, the entire right side of my face started spasming. What in the world? I have had muscle spasms in my right arm and/or leg for years in conjunction with CMEs but I have never had muscle spasms in my face! The spasms last intensely, almost non-stop, for over an hour. My dad brought me a muscle relaxer to work and it helped some but it didn't take the edge off completely. I was also having the normal spasms in my arm. By the time 8 o'clock hit, I was completely pooped. Think of doing a very intense muscle workout for HOURS on end and how tired you would feel afterward. That is basically what muscle spasms do, an intense, high speed "work out". So between the exhaustion from the spasms and the muscle relaxer, I was sleepy and out of it. My parents came to Chickfila to pick me up. Mom drove me in the echo with Poppa following. We dropped it off at Capital for T and then they took me home. My face was still twitching when I went to bed.
I will be starting some supplements in the next few weeks that are supposed to help with the migraines. I am really hoping that this approach will help. I have been on so many prescriptions and none have fully helped. Most have had weird side effect, such as Topamax. I haven't been on it for years but that med stops your body from producing sweat. And guess what? I still can't sweat! While some think this is a great thing, I personally don't. Your body has no way of naturally cooling itself off and overheats way too easily.
I am considering using my blog to document my journey with the supplements and possibly new diet. I think it would be a good way to keep track of everything.

4 comments:

JG said...

My sister gets chronic migraines. No bueno. I'm sorry!

Shoshanah said...

I can't even imagine going through that. I'm glad to hear that your parents were there to help you get through. And I'm hoping that you're able get everything a little more regulated through supplements or your diets or whatever else it takes

Miranda Tucci said...

Poor thing! I can't imagine!! I really hope those supplements work for you.. please keep us all up to speed on your journey! :) We're rooting for you!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're having to deal with al of this. Hopefully everything can get resolved and taken care of!