Saturday, June 12, 2010

In case you hadn't heard...

I got a full-time job. Wednesday afternoon I got a phone call asking me to be in Mobile, AL ready to work at 6am Thursday morning. I packed up a suitcase and started the 3.5 hour trip. Since then I have worked 3 12 hour days. Basically all I have done in the evenings is come home and sleep. It is exhausting but I really love my job. The only thing that would make it better is if Trevor was here. I hate being away from him.

I am working for Patriot Environmental Services as an Administrative Assistant/Data Entry Specialist. It is not a job working in drafting like I had wanted but the pay is excellent with lots of overtime. It is not permanent but could last up to 2 years, depending on how long it takes to stop the oil spill in the gulf and get it cleaned up.

Right now, my sister, Rachel, and I are staying with a family but after my first paycheck I will probably move into an extended stay hotel. We thought about renting and apartment but since I don't know how long I will be here and there is a possibility of transfer, I didn't want to commit to a lease.

The last few days at work have been a bunch of red tape and preparation for the President to come here on Monday. The Secret Service have been canvasing the Theodore Staging Areas(where the cleanup is being based from) and changing things around. Tomorrow will be filled with a lot of last minute details to get things fully prepped for his visit. Monday should be interesting. I get paid to hang out with the President of the United States. Nice, huh? :)

One of the Boom Repairmen that work in my department brought a watermelon into work. I didn't realize it until I walked out of my office and saw several of the guys eating. Not good. I had an instant reaction. The parametics hooked me up with a double dose of benadryl shot into my upper left arm. Needless to say, I was very sleepy. Patriot had paid for a room at the Holiday Inn that was empty so they took me there and let me sleep for 4 hours and then I went right back to work. I feel fine now. Seeing as how this is summer in the south, I will probably have a few more encounters before summer is over. The main parametic said that since this allergy has progressively gotten worse and it isn't just an injestion allergy(I don't have to eat it. If I am around it or within smelling range, my throat swells up, I start shaking and my face starts itching), it will probably get to a point where it will be life threatening to be around watermelon.  Lovely. He said that I should consider getting an epi pen in a few years but for now benadryl should work.

I am sorry that I didn't get to finish the Disney Blog Carnival but I will probably put up the posts and link up later once I am home and have my laptop/access to pictures. Right now I am on Rachel's desktop.

It's almost 9pm and way past bedtime. 4am comes awfully early. Hopefully I can finish catching up on blogs soon. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!


Shoshanah said...

First congrats on the job! While I know its not exactly where you want to be, it does sound like an exciting opportunity.

And how awful, that you're so allergic to watermelon. Good think they were able to take care of you, and hopefully you can avoid a bad reaction again

JG said...

Congrats again on the job. :)

Crazy Shenanigans said...

Congrats! That's great about the job! Sorry to hear about the watermelon incident though, that doesn't sound good at all!!!

Amanda said...

Congratulations on the job!

That is so scary about the watermelon. I hope you are feeling okay and that it won't happen again!