Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Snail Mail

I have a list of 130 architectural and engineering firms in Orlando, FL that I am sending my resume to. I have all of the labels printed out, all the resumes printed out and today I will finish printing out the cover letters. My goal is to have the envelopes stuffed and ready to drop off at the post office no later than tomorrow at lunch.

I will then start the list of firms in Dallas, TX and New Orleans, LA. These are some of the growing areas in architecture. Let's be honest, there isn't much going on in Mississippi. Simple example? On indeed.com, there are 618 drafting jobs listed for Texas and 18 for Mississippi. Big difference! Orlando is probably our first choice. We loved living down there when we worked at Disney and we have many friends who still live down there. New Orleans would be nice because we wouldn't be too far from either of our families. Trevor has never lived in Dallas but that is where I grew up. I consider it my home as much, if not more, than Mississippi. I loved growing up in the DFW area.

It is a big effort and I hate having to pay the cash up front for all the mailing supplies and postage, but it seems like the best option right now. If I only hear back from 1 firm, I suppose it will be worth it.

Just be praying for patience as we go through the waiting process. I want to fully rest in the fact that God has a plan and I have done all that I can on my part.

As for graduation, it is May 13th. I don't have any real significant plans. Just enjoying the moment and spending time with friends and family. Today is our graduates luncheon with our department. I am sincerely going to miss some of the people that I have been with for the past year and a half. But there are some characters that I can do without. ;) I am done with my AutoCAD Seminar in Revit and Structural Design. I should be done with my Architectural Design 2 class before I leave for lunch. That just leave Elementary Surveying. I'm so close to being finished, I can almost taste it!

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Exciting and scary all wrapped into one. I havet done snail mail in so long... Forgot how much work it is.

Yay for graduation being soo close!

JG said...

Wow, sounds like you've got a great plan. Good luck!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That's a GREAT idea and plan. When I first moved I did the same thing. I sent out a cover letter and my resume to almost any place I thought I wanted to work and I ended up at Nasa! If you go to Orlando and want to work for them let me know and I'll see if I can talk to some friends that still work for them!

Shoshanah said...

I can't believe how many resumes you're sending out! That's far more work than I ever did when apply for jobs. Good luck! I'm sure with all the effort you're putting into this, something should hopefully happen quickly. And if you wind up in New Orleans, we should definitely try to get together!