Saturday, September 5, 2009

What is in your spice cabinet?

Or spice rack, spice shelf, etc...

My Grandmommy gave me a gem! I had asked my mom for a spice rack for my birthay on Tuesday and we had talked about types and styles. I wanted something vintage, of course. =) Well, Grandmommy gave me her spice cabinet. I will try to post pictures when we get home. It is from 1970 with all of the original bottles and labels. I love it! Of course, I have to empty out the bottles, clean them and refill them.

So here is my question, what spices do you keep stocked? I love trying new recipes and I HATE hesitating because I don't have a particular spice or seasoning in my stock.

I want to use the original labels and if I have to, I will leave the original label on and put something else in it with a label on the bottom of the glass jar. ;) The spice rack includes Anise, Allspice, Basil, Bayleaf, Black Pepper, Carraway Seed, Celery Seed, Cinnamon, Cloves, Curry, Dill, Garlic Powder, Ginger, Nutmeg, Organo, Paprika, Parsley, Poultry Seasoning, Sage, Tarragon, and Thyme.

So, let me know what you think should be in every persons spice cabinet! I am open in any and all suggested.

*Post Note: For the record, Trevor's life would not be complete without Lemon Pepper Seasoning or Tony Chachere's Cajun/Creole Seasoning... so never fear - we already have those covered. ;)

1 comment:

Shoshanah said...

We don't have a spice rack, and in general don't store a lot of spices. In general if we're making something and we don't have the spice we need we'll go out and buy it. I did a quick check and the spices we currently have on hand are:
Cinnamon, Bay leaves, Oregano, Dried Basil, Cumin, Chile Pepper and of course Tony's.

Also the other day you wanted to know how I got the searches that lead people through my sight. Its through google analytics. If I remember right it was a little tricky to load on my blog, but google has good directions. And then not only can you see how people find you blog, but where they are located, and what pages they are going to. I'd definitely recommend it!